Yacht History

Sea Scamp was built in 1936 by Abeking & Rasmussen, although she was known then as Zeisig, meaning a 'siskin' bird, or a slang word for 'rascal'.  She was one of the 50 square metre yachts built for the Luftwaffe for their navigation training and recreation on the Baltic.

 

In 1945 the British forces found about 200 yachts in German harbours and took them as prizes of war.  They became known as the "Windfall" yachts and were sailed back to England as part of Operation Homeward and distributed to service units all over the world.  Zeisig was sailed back to Plymouth by Lt Morin Scott, RNR, renamed Sea Scamp and allocated to the Royal Marines at their Plymouth barracks.

 

In 1948 and 1949 Sea Scamp is recorded as coming first and second in Dartmouth Royal Naval College rallies.  In 1954 the Survey of Admiralty Yachts described her hull as good, spars and sails fair, and that she had a remaining life of five years or more!

 

Sea Scamp was reallocated in 1956 to HMS FISGARD on the Tamar in Cornwall, and then in 1966 to HMS RALEIGH in Plymouth, both training establishments. In 1974 she was allocated to the SEA SCOUTS for the next ten years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sea Scamp when it was bought in 1984

Then in 1984 Sea Scamp appeared on the Admiralty Small Craft Disposal List and Tony Venables and John Kapp bought her on an impulse for about £9000. The Sea Scamp Syndicate was subsequently set up to sail and maintain her.